Monday, July 6, 2009

Day 15

Location - Jackson Hole, Wyoming Miles/Total Miles - 88/1,029 Climb - 5,500
A big day today, a day of firsts, a day of climbing, a day to remember. It started early with breakfast at 5:30 then off to the mountains. The approach to the Tetons is spectacular, very similar to the alps, with emerald fields of crops giving way to meadows and pines. We encountered heavy headwinds heading up towards the pass making for more ruff going. I stopped to take a picture of an osprey, un-clipped my foot on one side, turned to take the picture and the wind blew me over. An embarrassing moment, a few band aids and I was back on the road. We stopped for lunch in the town of Victor which was the location of the "Rendezvous" where the trappers, Indians and fur traders got together each year. We started climbing after lunch where the grade went from 4% in the first few miles through lush forests to 8% seven miles from the top and then 10% for the last three miles. I had to stop two times to catch my breath but I made the top and the rest is history. Teton Pass, 8,431' the view to Jackson Hole went on forever. I got to the top and had a moment, this has been the day I've been dreading and had fears way back when I signed up for this that I couldn't make these climbs. When you brush aside your misgivings, push youself hard and accomplish something you never thought you could do, it goes deep. We also crossed into Wyoming today and went over 1,000 miles on the trip. When's the last time anybody you know rode a bike a 1,000 miles? I certainly don't know anybody that crazy.
This is a shot of a bunch of us at the Wyoming border just short of the pass. That's me, rear left.




This is a shot of a barn covered in hay bales, then dirt and the grass/shrubs grow right over it. There all over the place up here. Interesting.

4 comments:

  1. You guys all look stealth and strong...you forgot to tell me about the bandaids, but I am so excited to hear about you getting to the top and conquering the stuff that intimidates you...I need to take notes on how to live your good life. Way to go. I'm so happy for you.......
    much love, more than you know,
    me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bud...

    We're so happy for you! Not only for your own accomplishment; but wecan now say "We know of this guy who rode his bike through the Tetons and across America... was he crazy?" Maybe just a little! Keep up the good work.

    Don and Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. MY DAD ROCKS!! I never doubted for a second that you would get thru yesterday and make it sound easy! If all you end up with is a few bandaids on this trip, we'll take it! Keep it goin', Dad. I'm so beyond proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Bud! Finally I've figured out how to send a message - couldn't have done it without Kati's help though! Sounds like you are having a great adventure and everything is going well so far. Keep it up - and all you pix and blogging as it is really cool to see and hear about all the legs on this trip across the country!

    Jay says HI and sends his best wishes too!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete