Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Day 38

Location - Birch Run, Michigan Miles/Total Miles - 74/2,759 Climb - 625
Today was one of those days that you got on the road, put your head down and got it done. The terrain was virtually flat so I jumped into a pace line that was averaging 21 mph and that did the trick. We did have a bit of a scare when a cat ran out of a corn field and across our path narrowly missing the lead rider. I being second and anticipating the impending crash pulled wide just as a car was coming (which also saw the cat and pulled wide) - the cat missed the first bike by a fraction of an inch, mine by a foot and the car by a fraction of an inch on it's terrified sprint across the road. Our speed dropped considerably after this encounter.
Knowing that John (my room mate) stops at almost every bakery along the way, I stopped at one in a small town that I was sure he would try. I bought a Cinnamon roll, put it in a bag with his name on it, placed it on the counter for pick up and continued on. He was a bit surprised when he walked in a bit later and the lady knew his name and what he wanted.






Flowers are the theme of the day - If you look closely there is red sumac in this picture that Bill told me is blooming everywhere right now

4 comments:

  1. Yep, the sumac is in the background of the queen anne's lace picture. The pink flower in the photo above is digitalis (foxglove), also obviously in bloom just now here in Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so funny, you buying that cinnamon roll for John! You are thoughtful!!! I LOVE foxglove! Good shot, 1 of so many you've posted. I look forward to your postings every day, and when I check out the surf on my Puerto Escondido beach cam, I check out Bud's Blog! Almost time for Kati to come out and meet you! GO BUD GO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm almost certain that this posting is more along the lines of something you'd see from your typical retired person. :) Mom's looking forward to seeing you this weekend...thank goodness she's not Type A like you or she'd figure out a way to walk there!!

    Oh, by the way...Jeff Timpson asked me to pass along his best. He's been following your progress via updates from the office, along with lots of other people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job dodging a cat, car and a fellow rider. I don't know if it's good or bad that you know the name of all those flowers. Keep on biking.

    ReplyDelete