Kati chased me out of Denny's this morning at 7:30 am and it was tail winds all the way to Henrietta. I covered the distance in about five hours, finding Kati waiting for me at the luxurious Super 8 Motel.
I got cleaned up and we took a ride out into the countryside where we discovered Mendon Ponds Park which was just beautiful. The "ponds' around hear are like San Vicente Lake. The lakes are like oceans. . . we also got a look at one of the locks along the Erie Canal.

You can buy this brand new house for $260,000 - There's a trade off though - You have to shovel ten feet of snow each year.Kati Writes - So, up at 5:30 for what has become Bud's a.m. ritual, and then off to Denny's to see the whole group downing massive amounts of food. Massive. Really. I took a long walk back to the Canadian side for a last look at the Falls....breathtaking. Quick shower, and off I went, armed with a copy of Bud's turn-by-turn directions. I wanted a first-hand look at a day in the life of a road biker. These guys are animals. I finally found Bud and 3 others leading the pack, way out ahead and pushing so hard! It really is a race! I stopped for a quick hi and a photo (which was lousy), and then I forged ahead to the hotel. The rest you've already read.
Tomorrow will be a repeat. I'm staying off the interstate, as the scenery, terrain, architecture, flora and fauna are remarkable and also so different than SoCal. Let's see what changes tomorrow will bring.
That's Kati at lock 32 on the Erie Canal and the other picture is of Mendon Pond.
WOW- now we get to hear from both of you! Really hope to see Niagara falls now. As far as the trade-off for the 260K house- shoveling 10 ft of snow would keep us in shape! THAT's the trade-off! Sweet life, but not as tough.
ReplyDeleteGO BUD GO.
Ha!
ReplyDeleteDon and I were discussing this earlier today and we got a chuckle visioning Kati in one of those "Kiddy Karts" being pulled along by Bud on his bike! Glad to hear she thought this through and rented a car. Of course Kati's other option could have been flying on to NY for some serious shopping! hehehe
Sounds like you two are having a great time. Enjoy the back roads of America; that's the only way to see this great country!
Don and Linda
Bud, It sounds like Kati is getting the better deal there. Keep it up, you're almost there.
ReplyDeleteHey Bud & Kati! It is great to read your blog Bud and see all the sites as your make your way across America. Admit it...Wisconsin was your favorite place..too bad you didn't go through Green Bay! Cool pix of Niagra Falls - especially w/ Kati there w/ you! Jay and I had a great time at the casino last Friday w/ Kati - won some $$ and had a terrific steak dinner to boot! Keep on pedaling safely - we're anxious to get together when you return and hear all the stories!! BTW - your SD house won't sell since we're doing our best to make the neighborhood undesirable. Guess you'll have to put up w/ us, and sell those farms and estates you've purchased along the way!! Enjoy the last few days riding and w/ Kati!
ReplyDeletePat
So awesome to see you both enjoying the last leg of this adventure together. It's especially neat to have Mom confirm what I really knew all along...this really is a race! HAHA. I knew the competetive side of you wouldn't stay tucked away for 50 days! GOOOOO DAD...Keep it up. Can't wait to see you and Mom when you get back!
ReplyDeleteI have followed your progress each day and finally figured out how to post...Just back from 2 weeks in Hawaii...playing on beach with grandkids, snorkeling, deep sea fishing...watching you has made me feel like a lazy slug... and you have inspired me to do something about that....more to follow..
ReplyDelete